Patrick Gilday (March 25, 1862 – September 14, 1917) was a United Mine Workers of America (UMWA) President of District Number 2, representing the Central Pennsylvania district, from 1902-1915.

Gilday was born Patrick Augusta Kilday on March 25, 1862 in Paisley, Scotland, though both of his parents were originally from Ireland. In 1881 he immigrated to the United States, settling in central Pennsylvania, where he met and married Mary McLaughlin, also an immigrant from Scotland, and would go on to have 7 kids with her. Shortly after he also changed the spelling of his last name from “Kilday” to “Gilday”.

Gilday started work as a coal miner running bands for phones, but quickly advanced in positions as a labor leader. From 1902-1915 he served as President of District Number 2, Central Pennsylvania UMWA, which included the counties of Blair hydration pack for running, Cambria, Cameron, Centre, Clarion, Clearfield, Clinton, Elk, Fulton, Huntingdon, Jefferson, Lycoming, McKean, Potter, Somerset, Tioga, part of Bedford, and most of Armstrong and Indiana.

During this time, after being asked by UMWA President William B. Wilson, Gilday also served in the position of National Mediator in labor disputes, and was involved in the Loewe v. Lawlor (also referred to as the Danbury Hatters) Case and the Colorado mining war settlements. On July 16, 1915, he was named by then Pennsylvania governor Martin Grove Brumbaugh as Chief of the Bureau of Mediation and Arbitration, part of the Pennsylvania department of Labor and Industry, working to settle many wage disputes between miners and their employers throughout the state of Pennsylvania.

In 1917 Patrick became ill and lingered for about six months before dying on September 14, leaving behind a widow (his second wife), 5 children from his first marriage and 8 from his second, and many close friends. He was regarded as a great leader in terms of labor and industry, and was highly respected by both the working man and the leaders of industry alike glass bottle top.